[TN-Bird] Rankin peeps

  • From: "michael sylva" <mtnsylva@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-bird" <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 09:56:49 -0500

Late yesterday (3/6/05), we drove along the old RR bed at Rankin Bottoms to the
gate, then walked another mile or so, looking, in vain, for woodcocks in the
floodplain openings.  The road is heavily graveled; 4x4 wasn't necessary.  We
were surprised to see sandpipers this early in the year.  Ducks were fairly
plentiful, especially in the swampy sloughs between the new and old RR beds
past the gate.  Most took flight and headed away as we approached; we couldn't
identify some of them.
The only cormorant that we saw was hanging dead from a fork high in a
cottonwood near the riverbank.  The carcass has been there since late last
summer. Leslie suspects that it's a victim of fowl play.

Notable birds:
Wood duck (30+)
Mallard (15)
Blue-winged teal (3)
Green-winged teal (12)
Great blue heron (4)
Black & turkey vultures (about 80, soaring above the river)
Lesser yellowlegs (1)
Least sandpiper (14)
Ring-billed gull (9)
Tree swallow (30+)
American pipit (45)
Red-winged blackbird (first of season at Rankin)

Michael Sledjeski & Leslie Gibbens
Cocke county TN