[TN-Bird] Rambling Around Hamilton County, TN

  • From: BrdMann@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 17:53:48 EST

Started the birding today with the goal in mind to reach 100 species for  the
year in Hamilton County at Standifer Gap Marsh. We searched  for the
oft-reported Orange-crowned Warbler. This would be one of several  expected
species I
did not see today. The temperature was unseasonably warm but  the wind quite
ferocious all day long. Nice looks at Winter Wren, Swamp Sparrow,  Northern
Pintail, and I heard one Virginia Rail. Eastern Meadowlarks and  Red-winged
Blackbirds were in full song.

Dropped by Chickamauga Dam in hopes of Greater Scaup (#97 for the  County) to
be rewarded by a crisply-plumaged male (1).

Janice Chadwell called to report a Great Egret (#98 for the County) at
Amnicola Marsh which I observed from 1:15 - 1:30 PM. Also present there were
Canada Goose (45), Mallard (2), Northern Shoveler (4), Gadwall (4), and Rusty
Blackbird (30+).

Janice Chadwell called back to say that Sandy Wilson observed a  Greater
White-fronted Goose at Soddy Creek yesterday-did I need it? So I headed  north
via
Chester Frost Park and Pinky's Point where I dipped on Fox Sparrow-a  sure
spot on a not-so-windy day and looked over the fields near  TVA Sequoyah for
other possibilities.

Observed the Greater White-fronted Goose (1 adult)  (#99 for the  County) in
the company of a Swan Goose/Charley Duck mix and 24 Canada Geese from  the
Soddy Lake Fishing Pier off old Hwy 27 (called Dayton Pike) from 4:00 - 4:20
PM.
Also present there were Ring-necked Duck (31), Redhead (1 male), Hooded
Merganser (5), Mallard (6), Gadwall (20), N. Pintail (1 male) and 200 +
Ring-billed Gulls.

At the Thomas Brothers Farm, best observed from the southbound lane of US  27
between the Thrasher Pike and Hwy 153 exits in the field with  36 Canada
Geese was a dark phase, adult Snow Goose (#100 for the County).  Also present
on
the farm were approx. 50 Mallards and 50 Gadwall. 4:40 -  4:50 PM.

All for now,
Daniel Jacobson
Hixson, (Hamilton County), TN