[TN-Bird] Radnor Lake NTOS Wednesday Morning Walk Results

  • From: "Candice & Kevin" <ethden@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 12:39:10 -0500

Radnor Lake State Natural Area
Nashville-Davidson Co. TN

Nine birders joined the weekly walk at Radnor Lake sponsored by the
Nashville Chapter of TOS this morning. The rain held off and although the
cloudy skies did not provide the best lighting for bird observation, we
still had a good morning with a total of 45 species. We had 10 warbler
species, the most numerous being Magnolia Warblers, followed by American
Redstarts, and a large group of both Wood Ducks and Blue-winged Teal on the
lake. Also an unusual number of Black Vultures began flying in over the
parking lot as we gathered for the walk. Not one of the 10 or so vultures
were Turkey Vultures; they were all Black Vultures. We speculated as to what
might be bringing them in.

Here's a list of the 45 species observed:

Wood Duck
Blue-winged Teal
Great Blue Heron

Green Heron
Black Vulture
Cooper's Hawk
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
Barred Owl
Chimney Swift
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Belted Kingfisher
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Pileated Woodpecker
Eastern Wood-Pewee
White-eyed Vireo
Yellow-throated Vireo

White-eyed Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Blue Jay
American Crow
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
Carolina Wren
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Eastern Bluebird
Swainson's Thrush
Gray Catbird
Cedar Waxwing
Blue-winged Warbler
Tennessee Warbler
Northern Parula
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Magnolia Warbler
Black-throated Green Warbler
Black-and-white Warbler

Bay-breasted Warbler
American Redstart
Northern Waterthrush
Summer Tanager
Northern Cardinal
Rose-breasted Grosbeak

American Goldfinch

Next week's walk will begin in the West Parking lot by the Radnor Lake
Visitor's Center on Wednesday 30 September at 7:30am. All are welcome.

Kevin Bowden

Nashville, TN

                       MAP RESOURCES