[TN-Bird] Prothonotary Warbler--7 Islands State Birding Park

  • From: Roy & Robin Knispel <rknispel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2016 19:43:29 -0400

Today 11 birders from the Lee & Lois Herndon Chapter, TOS, of Elizabethton had a field trip to Seven Islands State Birding Park near Kodak SE of Knoxville. Our species list for the day was:

Canada Goose
Mallard
Wild Turkey
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Green Heron
Black Vulture
Turkey Vulture
Osprey
Bald Eagle    imm.
Red-tailed Hawk
Broad-winged Hawk
Mourning Dove
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
E. Phoebe
White-eyed Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Blue Jay
Crow
Tree Swallow
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
Carolina Wren
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
E. Bluebird
Mockingbird
Brown Thrasher
Prothonotary Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
Northern Parula
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Chipping Sparrow
Field Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Song Sparrow
E. Towhee
N. Cardinal
Red-winged Blackbird
Brown-headed Cowbird
Goldfinch

This totals 45 species. Our day was made when, as we were about to head back to the car, we discovered the Prothonotary Warbler. This species is uncommon in our area of upper NE Tennessee.

Roy Knispel
Johnson City

begin:vcard
fn:Roy Knispel