[TN-Bird] Probable Northern Goshawk: Sevier County

  • From: shaawitya@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2014 02:20:53 +0000 (UTC)

I'm sticking my neck out here, but I'm about 90% certain an adult Northern
Goshawk was in the sky today over what I call Boling Knob. From my yard, I
noticed several American Crows mobbing a large hawk and I could tell right away
it was an Accipiter with it's relatively long tail, but it's all relative (not
like a Cooper's or Sharpie), non-buteo and non-falcon wings. The encounter was
only about 10 seconds but as the crows were mobbing it wheeled away from me
showing it's underside and it appeared to be almost all white from the distance
I was away, against a blue sky. It has a prominent white undertail covert
patch, somewhat darker underside of wings, and HUGE, Red-tailed Hawk size. I
apologize for not having any more details but I was not able to get my binos on
the bird but for a few seconds as it moved quickly away from the crows and flew
behind the ridge. I'll keep looking for this bird.

Keith Watson
PIttman Center, TN