[TN-Bird] Polk Co. gull with black hood

  • From: TenacBirder@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2014 14:53:54 +0000 (UTC)

Possible Black-headed Gull
Parksville Lake, Polk co., TN

Let me preface by saying I am not a Gull expert.  Until Saturday 11 April, 2014
I have never seen a Black-headed Gull nor a Franklin's Gull.  I have some
experience with Bonaparte's Gull in winter in Chattanooga.  I kid a lot by
saying things like "you can take my opinion and $1.25 and buy a cup of coffee
at most convenience stores."

While studying the gull for more than 20 minutes I couldn't decide if I was
seeing a Black-headed Gull or a Franklin's Gull.  I had basically ruled out
Franklin's because I could never see the white bands in the tail of this bird.
Laughing Gull was immediately ruled out because the black hood didn't look
right.  I was really leaning toward Black-headed Gull.

I received a phone call from someone whom I respect immensly in the Chattanooga
birding community.  She said another well respected bird authority in our area
thought the gull was a Bonaparte's...with all due respect, my first thoughts
were: you gotta be kidding me!  I had never ever considered this gull as a
Bonaparte's.

What I saw:
1- This was a rather large gull, when a crow walked behind it the crow was
about a heads height taller than the gull.
2- When a Killdeer walked in front of the gull it was dwarfted.  I would
consider the size comparasion similiar to a Rock Pigeon and a small warbler.
3- The overall jizz of the bird seemed wrong for a Bony.
4- The dark hood was not consistent with what I might have expected for a Bony.
(to short coming up the back of the head)
5- The distance from the feet on the ground up to the body of the bird was
greater i.e. the legs seemed a bit longer.
6- The bill seemed massive. On a Bonaparte's Gull I would have expected a small
black pointed bird like bill. ( just from my prospective, I would suggest a
bill comparasion between a downy and a Hairy Woodpecker.  This bill was like a
hairy's i.e. size only no correlation to shape intended.)

What I didn't see was I never saw the bird fly so I never got a look at it's
outstretched wings!  AND the distance was a disadvantage (2,000 + feet) when
viewed through my 20x60, 77mm Bausch & Lomb spotting scope.

I hope no one takes offense.  I am generally not someone who will state an
opinion early.  I tend to wait back until someone else makes a call and then I
start to work back to form my own conclusions.

Please, anyone who saw this gull come forward and state your opinions.  I'd
really like to know what you think...

Jimmy Wilkerson
Hixson, Hamilton co., TN