[TN-Bird] Re: Polk Co. gull with black hood

  • From: Chris Sloan <csloan1973@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird Listserv <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2014 10:04:36 -0500

I have seen some of the photos and I do not think the hood is at all
inconsistent with a Bonaparte's; keep in mind that Bonaparte's are molting
this time of year also.  That said, it is also not inconsistent with a
Common Black-headed and the photos I saw aren't sufficient to conclude one
way or the other.  The report is intriguing and Jimmy's notes about size
and shape are certainly consistent of the ID as Black-headed.  I also heard
from one observer who referenced a reddish bill, which would not be
consistent with Bonaparte's.  But, I also got a second-hand report that an
observer saw the bird in flight and did not see dark under the primaries,
which is a major strike against Black-headed if in fact that is the case
(although it can be surprisingly hard to see depending on lighting
conditions and viewing angle).

Hopefully folks will re-find it today and get better looks and photos to
resolve the issue.  With decent looks, it should be fairly straightforward
ID.

Chris Sloan
Nashville, TN
http://www.chrissloanphotography.com