[TN-Bird] Pileateds

  • From: Imboden@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 11:10:20 EST

Jerry, I agree with you on having suet for the Pileateds.  When butchers
purchased beef by sides and cut them up, there were large suet pieces from
the kidney area which birds really liked, particularly pileated.  The best
way to hang it was using a five or ten pound mesh potato bag.  That is a
fiber and not a plastic  mesh bag.  Squirrels and other animals may have
eaten on it, but we had a much larger number of birds which frequented the
suet.  This may not have been as attractive as one of the new feeders, but it
worked very well. And the total cost was $0.
    I  don't know if it is possible to obtain this type suet from the packing
houses now.  If you purchase extra, it can be frozen until needed.

Barbara Finney
Knoxville, TN