[TN-Bird] Self-rising Flour and Vegetable Shortening in Bird Food Mixes

  • From: "Carole Gobert" <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 11:15:19 -0500

I did a quick internet search on vegetable shortening and birds and came up
with a lot of references to using vegetable shortening in bird puddings and
really didn't see anything that talked about it being harmful. The Winter
2001 Birdscope (Vol. 15, No. 1) put out by the Cornell Lab of Orithology, in
fact, suggests that it may be more convenient to substitute another high fat
food for suet, such as bacon drippings, peanut butter or vegetable
shortening. I certainly didn't do an exhaustive search, but if the Cornell
lab doesn't see anything wrong with vegetable shortening, I would feel
comfortable using it.

http://birds.cornell.edu/publications/birdscope/Winter2001/birdfeeding.html

Carole Gobert
Knoxville, TN