[TN-Bird] Peregrine Falcons at Greenbrier Pinnacle

  • From: <hoyle@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 12:51:50 -0500 (EST)

TN-BIRDLIST,

I am forwarding this report from Keith Watson. He wanted me to reiterate
to anyone interested in trying to locate the Peregrines' nest on Greenbrier
how difficult the terrain is. However, the Peregrines can be observed
fairly consistently from the overlook above the old hack site ( 9 mile
hike). Please contact Keith with any observations.

Dear All,

The following is a summary of the observations and  assumptions made
regarding the potential of a newly identified pair of nesting American
Peregrine Falcons (Falco peregrinus) in the Great Smoky Mountains National
Park, on the cliff faces of the Greenbriar Pinnacle.    Following those
sections are a few recommendations regarding the nest confirmation and
subsequent monitoring.    If this nest can be confirmed, this will be a
very significant addition to recovery of the Peregrine Falcon in the
Smokies,Tennessee, and the Southern Appalachians.

Status of the American Peregrine Falcon

Although this species has been delisted by the US Fish and Wildlife
Service, that is, removed from the Federal List of Endangered and
Threatened Species, the American Peregrine Falcon remains:

      on the Tennessee List of Endangered Species maintained by the
Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency (TWRA).

      on the Tennessee Natural Heritage Program's List of Tracked Species.

      on the US Fish and Wildlife Service's Birds of Conservation Concern
list for each Bird Conservation Region in North America, including the
Appalachian BCR (BCR 28).

      on the US Fish and Wildlife Service's Birds of Conservation Concern
for each US Fish and Wildlife Service Region

      on the US Fish and Wildlife Service's Birds of Conservation Concern
for the Nation.

History of the Activity on Greenbriar Pinnacle

1984-1986

13 American Peregrine Falcons were "hacked" from the cliffs on Greenbriar
Pinnacle

2000-2002

Kris Johnson and Susan Hoyle began observing falcon activity in 2000.

Single falcons were observed in February and June of 2001 by Susan Hoyle.

From Susan's notes in 2002, "On Sunday, March 10, 2002 Kristine Johnson and
I watched a pair of Peregrine Falcons soaring and diving around the cliffs
on Greenbrier Pinnacle. They were very close to the old hacking site, but
seemed to be interested in a place to the south and east of there, but not
visible from the ledge on which we stood."

From Susan's notes on May 25, 2002, a pair of birds were observed, one
smaller with adult plumage, the other a tawny brown color but with a bright
yellow cere and worn feathers.
      My interpretation of this information suggests the presence of an
adult male and perhaps a sub-adult female.

From Susan's notes, "I suspect they have nested somewhere up there for two
previous seasons (2001-2002)."

2003

March 21, 2003:  David and Carol Morris visited the Pinnacle on Friday
March 21st via the Cat Stairs approach. He and Carol got close enough to
determine that there was one large "whitewash" near the center of the
bluffs.  Because of time constraints, they could only observe for about 30
minutes and did not see any Peregrine activity.

March 23, 2003:  Kris Johnson, Susan Hoyle, Martha Rudolf, Pam Munson, and
Keith Watson hiked up one of the old manways to just under the PInnacle on
Sunday and just past the old Barnes homestead, climbing the slopes to the
cliffs (which the group couldn't see well or often because of trees, steep
slopes, rhododendron).  While at the homestead site area, an extensive
whitewash area was observed on one crevice of the rock faces on the more
easterly portions of the Pinnacle (this may be the whitewash area that
David observed, see attached photo).   As the group climbed to the general
area, we all heard Peregrine(s)(?) calling, in the vicinity where the
whitewash was thought to be.  At least one falcon was observed, and it was
presumably an adult male that was stooping on a Red-tailed Hawk, actively
defending a territory of the eyrie(?).  Keith got a good look at it from
beneath and believed it to be an adult male trying aggressively to drive
the hawk away.  It stooped out of sight.  Better views of the rock faces
were attempted, but the area is rough, steep, and often with thick
rhododendron, and a good way to get there was not found.  The group heard
the calls at least three more times while in the area over a period of
about 2.5 hours.  These calls were again from a single bird, presumably the
male, but cannot be confirmed.  Pam saw one bird in the general area but we
all didn't get to see it.  We did not make it to the rock faces.

On our way down, we met with David Morris, the volunteer who has been
watching the pair at Duck Hawk Ridge near Alum Cave.  We talked awhile and
he tried to get to the rock faces opposite the direction we took.  He did
have a spotting scope with him.  He did not make it to the rock faces
either, but here is his report.  I've taken the liberty of condensing the
information.

From David:

Because the "whitewash" was such a strong indication of peregrine presence,
I returned on March 23rd.  I was able to get closer for a better look at
the bluffs.  I ran into Kris Johnson and friends there who were also
looking for the falcons.  As a matter of fact they had observed an adult
peregrine chase a Red tail Hawk from the bluff area, clearly territorial
behavior.

After Kris and friends left, I proceeded further up to try and get a better
view of the bluffs.  I heard , what was probably a male Peregrine, giving
the creaking call and flying into the bluff area.  I lost him in the tree
line and didn't see where he landed.  During the next hour and a half I
moved around several times trying to get a better view of  the bluffs.  I
was unable to confirm a nest site, but realized there are many
possibilities there. I did see another "whitewash" behind a small pine tree
very near the other "whitewash".

After that hour and a half I heard a Peregrine return from my right moving
toward the bluffs giving the creaking call and a return call from the
bluffs, probably the female.  This behavior is consistent with a nesting
pair; the territorial protection and the calls that are used when a male
brings food to a nesting female.  Given these sightings and behavior, I
think there is a very good possibility that there is a second nesting pair
of Peregrines in the Smokies.  We have confirmed that the pair at Little
Duck Hawk Ridge are incubating eggs now, and the likelihood of either of
those birds being is this area , exhibiting these behaviors is extremely
slim.

I will continue to try to confirm a nest site, but this may be impossible
given the terrain.  If we can observe young birds in this area in June,
this may help confirm a second pair of nesting Peregrines.  I will update
you on any new developments.

End of Reports to date, 2003

Based on the information obtained by both groups, an apparent American
Peregrine Falcon nest does appear to be "active" at the Greenbriar
Pinnacle.  If this nest is active and producing young, this will be only
the third nest in all of Tennessee, the other two being at Little Duck Hawk
Ridge in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and on a railroad bridge
in Chattanooga.   However, this probable nest at Greenbriar Pinnacle does
need to be confirmed!!

Historically, approximately 25 eyries have occurred in Tennessee and 4 have
been suggested for the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (Alsop 1979).
As falcons continue to breed in the mountain eyries, the likelihood of
surviving young to repopulate once occupied eyries or establish new eyries
is increased.   I believe the presence of a nest at the Greenbriar Pinnacle
is a result of successful breeding and survival of mountain produced young,
perhaps from the Little Duck Hawk Ridge eyrie..  This is extremely
important to the complete recovery of the American Peregrine Falcon in the
east, as the falcon population in the mountain zone was the only zone not
to have met recovery criteria during the delisting process.  So each new
nest, subsequent monitoring and protection are vitally important to the
full recovery of the American Peregrine Falcon first, in the Appalachians ,
and second, for the eastern United States.

Recommendations

It is important to confirm this nest and any reproduction that has or will
take place.

Assuming that to be the case, the issue of regular monitoring may be the
more challenging task, especially at the Greenbriar Pinnacle.  David Morris
continues to monitor nesting progress at Duck Hawk Ridge and should be
supported in any way by Park staff or other partners to continue this
effort and additional efforts needed at Greenbriar Pinnacle.

For the meantime, I propose the following:

      Nest Confirmation:
            Confirmation of this nest presents some unusual challenges in
that the probable location of the eyrie cannot be easily observed from any
close viewing area or platform and there are not            trails to the
area from which observations can be made to the probable eyrie .
Confirmation will have to occur through either off trail hiking to the
cliff area and conducting searches or by        waiting until young are
expected to fledge and observing flights of the young in the area, perhaps
mid-May and later, if the pair are currently incubating eggs.  Kris
Johnson, David Morris,        and Keith Watson plan to attempt accessing
the cliff area via the Cat Stairs route and then determine if the cliffs
and eyrie location can be safely located by traversing either the upper or
      lower portions of the cliff   faces.  Keith plans to attempt this on
Thursday, April 3, 2003 if a hiking partner(s) can be found.  Subsequent
attempts to the site will be determined following this
reconnaissance.  Beyond that, no firm plans have been made.   Another
possibility is to hike the Pinnacle Trail to the summit then descend to the
upper portions of the cliff.   Suggestions            are welcomed from the
Smokies staff if there are other alternatives to confirm this nest.

      Nest Monitoring:
            Staff in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park are encouraged
to establish regular monitoring of this site following confirmation of the
actual nest, and at the Little Duck Hawk Ridge        eyrie. These two
nests (if confirmed) represent 2/3 of nesting American Peregrine Falcons in
Tennessee!    Recognizing that the staff and budget limitations in the
Smokies will make             monitoring these eyries a challenge, other
options do exist and may offer the park opportunities to use outside
assistance from interested parties.  The park is encouraged to open
      communication with bird conservation partners in the area such as the
Tennessee Ornithological Society, Tennessee Partners in Flight, and USFWS
to explore potential avenues for          establishing regular monitoring
of these areas.  Other locals partners such as the Smoky Mountain Natural
History Association and Friends of the Smokies are invited to participate
in this           effort and may be able to provide some funding to support
the monitoring and protection needs at these sites.  Keith Watson is
willing to facilitate some of this dialogue and perform
occasional monitoring duties.   Additionally, David Morris has been a
strong supporter of the monitoring program and will continue to support
these efforts.  However, a regular and                coordinated approach
to monitoring these sites is needed to obtain information on various
aspects of the reproductive cycle of these sites in the park.

For those of you outside the National Park Service on this mailing list, if
you have some positive ideas or suggestions on how to assist the park with
regular monitoring of these eyries, please feel free to contact me and let
me know of your suggestions.  I will compile and summarize them and forward
to appropriate personnel in the Smokies and FWS.

Attached are two digital photos taken on March 23, 2003 by Keith Watson
that show the whitewash area from the Greenbriar entrance road and from the
Barnes Homestead site.

(See attached file: DSC01410.JPG)(See attached file: whitewash.jpg)

 J. Keith Watson
 Migratory Bird Biologist
 Division of Migratory Birds
 U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service