[TN-Bird] Nesting News-Good and bad

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 19:00:40 EDT

July 1-2, 2006
Bartlett, Dacus Bar,
Ensley Bottoms and Frayser
Memphis, TN

Here around the house, I've experienced an exceptional number of successful
nestings, with Robins leading the crop. Just yesterday strolling around the
property, I counted 22 adult birds and 38 immature. I've had 3 sets of Brown
Thrasher young and 2 sets of Carolina Wrens with another active nest at this
time. Morning Doves and Eurasian Collared-Doves are using the same set of Pine
trees with much jeering and cooing. Mississippi Kites, Cooper's Hawks and
Broad-winged have nested in the neighborhood this year and I've seen fledged
young of all three.

At the pits in Ensley bottoms, there has been a bumper crop of  Killdeer with
over 500 counted on Saturday in just 2 of the pits. Black-necked  Stilts
hatched 2 sets Saturday and 3 Sunday with many more adults attending eggs  and
there were two new nest starts. The nest in the middle of the road  with 4 eggs
last week failed and that was expected as the Raccoons and  Coyote patrol those
narrow levees.

On Dacus Bar there are at least 14 nest of Least Terns but the Mississippi
River will rise 4 feet in the next few days and some of those will be  lost.

The saddest sight Saturday, was a pair of Fish Crows robbing the nest of  one
pair of the Western Kingbirds in Frayser. The kingbirds tried time and  again
to dissuade the marauders but the larger crows would have their way.   I
don't know if it is too late for them to try again.

The Scissor-tailed Flycatcher pair at the Frayser location, seem to  have
gotten by with no loses. The Scissor-tailed Flycatchers on President's  Island
had newly hatched young last week but a Saturday and Sunday visit  produced no
sightings of the male, and the female was working on a new nest at  the
opposite end of the crossbar from the first nest. I'll keep watch; hope the
male
returns??

Good Birding  !!!
Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA