[TN-Bird] Re: Name and location + Birds

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 08:17:57 EST

mbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Hmmmm...  I believe that some people will find anything to complain about or
> "bitch" as it was so described.

Punch delete key now............or go directly to bottom of post for bird
sightings.

When Michelle Brown inadvertently left her name off her post about the
sapsucker and Great Horned Owls, I dropped her a line as a reminder. The
reason being, knowing where an event happens in the state brings a context to
the post and all of us are guilty of a quick finger send on occasion.

I send a lot of answers, suggestions, ask questions and corrections off line
to keep down the number of my already too many posts (here's another) and not
to join the personal "me too" and "atta boy" personal comments that abound on
the list.

Unfortunately Michelle mentioned my name in the correction post which was
perfectly all right by me, except Wallace posted a comment shortly using an
"e" mail he had received on the subject with the now famous "bitch'n"
statement. Now I've gotten two "E" mails telling me to quit my "bitch'n". It
seems some think I wrote that "e" mail to Wallace, if there are 2 that will
"e" mail me, then there must be more out there. Wallace can confirm that I
did not write to him and I think Michelle will tell you I did not "bitch" at
her. Just to set the record straight. I did not "bitch" at anybody so you can
quit sending me your thoughts on the subject.

Similar off line "e" mail, a while back, stopped me from posting essays about
particular experiences of mine in the field on line.  It seemed they were not
"on topic" for a list about TN bird sightings. Some still think my postings
are to long and probably to frequent, I plead guilty to both but for those
there is always the ever present "delete" key. ALSO, please send any and all
comments to me off line on the matter.

NOW for the bird part:

I've spent a few days since the 1st in eastern Arkansas and north Mississippi
playing catch-up in those areas without feeling guilty about my TN year list.
There are huge flocks of Snow, Ross's and Greater White-fronted Geese in both
areas and I can give directions to anyone that is interested in these birds.
It is quite impressive. The Ross's Geese have gotten to the point of being
uncountable because of their burgeoning numbers.

I found even bigger flocks of Laps in the rice fields there, than I reported
in TN about a week ago. I also located 169 Sandhill Cranes in 2 flocks just
south of Memphis and a small group of 11 in Arkansas. This is another species
that is growing in numbers and not long ago were seldom if ever seen in the
area and then only one or two at a time. Red-tailed Hawk numbers are
definitely down and Harrier numbers way up. Short and to the point. ;o)

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA
Bartlett Tenn.