[TN-Bird] Mottled Duck is Back

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 23:22:28 EDT

October 1, 2004
TVA Lake
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN
On a late afternoon trip out to the pits, I ran into Michael Roedel scanning
the shorebirds. We enjoyed looking through and finding a few oddities among
the hordes of Least Sandpipers. The best shorebird was an immature, female
Wilson's Phalarope found late while we were being serenaded by a pair of nearby
Great Horned Owls.

At TVA Lake there were 96 Great Egrets with more falling in among the
hundreds of ducks. At 6:45 I suddenly ran across two new birds that had not
been
there minutes before, a female Gadwall and THE MOTTLED DUCK.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett, TN