[TN-Bird] Moss Island birding

  • From: "Scott Somershoe" <Scott.Somershoe@xxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 21:33:21 -0600

I spent the better part of the day wandering around Moss Island WMA (Dyer Co)
looking for Rusty Blackbirds for the RUBL Blitz.  I found 4 groups of rusties,
but all in small numbers (3 to 47).  Anyway, I had a variety of interesting
sightings, which certainly made the really cold weather much more fun.

Rhodes Lake froze solid overnight.  There were a bunch of shovelers,
green-winged teal, mallards, and gadwall on the lake on Wed, but nothing this
morning but a pair of otter playing on the ice.  A large number of American
Crows (hundreds, if not thousands) were all over the place and seemed to be
just ahead of my travels all day long.

Small groups of Snow Geese were flying south again today.  Total was about 5000
with 15 Ross's Geese mixed in. Yesterday I had a couple hundred pintail flying
south, as well as one thousand snow geese.

While sitting in a clearing eating lunch, I had a flock of birds streaming by
just below canopy level.  I just assumed they were robins as they have been
common the last couple days.  I immediately realized they weren't robins and it
took a few seconds to figure out what they were.  It was a flock of
White-throated Sparrows.  They streamed by just below canopy level for a couple
minutes.  I had at least 120 in this flock (probably 150+).  They didn't go too
far from where I was sitting and they started feeding on the ground.  I managed
to sneak up on them and I picked out a Swamp Sparrow, a couple Fox Sparrows,
and a downy woodpeckers foraging on the ground.  Certainly the largest single
group of white-throats I've ever seen.  Seeing them flying high up in the trees
was really interesting.

I found remains (flight feathers) of 3 great blue herons, which were plucked by
some large predator.  I often find dead adult herons in rookeries, but not
often do I find a dead great blue (or remains) at other times of the year.  I'm
guess the predator is either a Great Horned Owl or Bald Eagle.

On my way north up the Great River Rd just after sunset (while thawing out), I
did a double-take on a borrow pit opposite the north end of Moss Island (which
is a couple miles north of the main entrance).  The pit was covered in Great
Blue Herons.  I did a 180 to get a better look and unfortunately they all flew,
which did make counting easier.  I counted 83 great blue herons, with a Great
Horned Owl perched out in the open not far away.  This was probably the only
shallow, unfrozen water in the area.  All the birds were in an area about 0.5
acre.

I made a quick trip through the Thorny Cypress Unit (TWRA property on Hwy 104
just east of Ernest Rice WMA) and had a Short-eared owl fly across the road
just before dark.

Great birding!
Scott Somershoe

State Ornithologist