[TN-Bird] Re: Mockingbirds!!!

  • From: K Dean EDWARDS <kde@xxxxxxx>
  • To: John Devereux Joslin <jdjoslin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 17:42:08 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, John Devereux Joslin wrote:
>     Pecking order at the suet feeder seems to be:
> 1. Pileateds (wait patiently for each other, not even intimidated
        by the crows).
> 2. Red-bellieds
> 3. Hairy WPs
> 4. Downy WPs
> 5. White-breasted Nuthaches (very good a lurking patiently until
        bigger bird is through)
> 6. Carolina Wrens (often gather crumbs falling below while the
        others are eating or just after)
> 7. Chickadees
> ?. Yellow-rumped Warblers (not common enough to know where they rank.
> ?  Pine Warblers (Used to get them, but now that all the pines have
        been killed by beetles)

Hmm.  Can't comment on #1, 3 and Pine Warbler as they have never
graced my presence with themselves at our suet feeders.

I will add Yellow-bellied Sapsucker at somewhere around 2.5.  They
will give way to each other and sometimes Red-bellied.  They chase
away the Downies but tolerate the wrens, titmice and nuthatches, often
eating at the same time from different sides of the same cake.

Put Brown Creeper down at somewhere around 248, a bit below Green
Bottlefly and falling leaf.  They will fly in to the tree but if
there's another bird anywhere close to the suet, they will fly
off to another tree.  So sad seeing them keep coming back again
and again without eating.

Of course the real #1 at our feeder goes to Gray Squirrel.  THEY
are not even intimidated by Eeyore, the vicious Bassethound.

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN