[TN-Bird] Mockingbirds!!!

  • From: "Michelle Brown" <mbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-birds" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 15:04:37 -0500

Aka., The Mockers!  This ruthless gang has been hanging out around my feeders
all day.  They have had their fill but they aren't willing to let The Downey's,
The Nuthatches, and The Titmice get in there for a bite.

I finally moved one of the feeders to the other side of the yard.  What was
their response???  They split up and covered both locations.  There appear to
be only two so I figured adding a third location would hamper their little
party.  It does appear to have done the trick for now.  The Nuthatches and The
Downey's are getting a bite here and there.  The Chickadees were never bothered
by them.  They simply dart in, grab and run seemingly undetected by the
Mockers.

This has been an all day effort.  Clearing snow in several places, carrying
buckets of water and guarding the little guys from those darn Mockers.  I
actually stood by the feeders to keep the Mockers away for a little while.
Those less shy birds took advantage of the situation and dug into the buffet.

I finally had to come back in and warm up.  Soon it will be time to brave the
cold and get the evening feeding taken care of.  Just a note, I love all birds
and while these crazy Mockers are driving me up a wall today they are rarely
ever this big a nuisance.  I am not harming them are wishing any ill will upon
them.

Hope everyone is warm, cozy and safe!

Michelle Brown
Blountville TN