[tn-bird] Migration - Look High and Low

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, ARBIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 07:42:56 EDT

Oct. 23, 2002
Shelby Farms
Shelby Co. TN
Wapanocca NWR
Crittenden Co. Ark.

I passed through Shelby Farms a couple of times Wednesday morning and took
about 15 or 20 minutes to look around. You can get long panoramic views over
the rolling agricultural land and specks high in the sky revealed a movement
of raptors. There were the regular numbers of resident and semi resident
Red-tailed Hawks plus Turkey Vultures circling but even higher were three
different groups catching thermal rides and drifting south. The first group
held two Harriers, a Red-tailed and a Sharp-shinned. Again two Harriers
appeared from the northeast and then 3 Red-tailed and a Cooper's sailed by.
At ground level I came across a Cooper's and another Sharp-shinned. In one of
the abandoned fish ponds I watched a couple of Virginia Rails chasing a Sora.
Quick bursts of speed and team work finally made to Sora cross over the path
and enter another pond.

At lunch at the Pyramid Events Center downtown another rout was in progress.
A Peregrine had all the downtown pigeons rushing around in bunches. After
victory laps over the Pyramid's apex, the bird decided to rid the Mississippi
River bridge of its pigeons and made strafing runs through the iron work. It
all looked more like a bored Peregrine than a hungry one.

A late afternoon trip into Arkansas produced nothing but harvested rice
fields, so I made a run through Wapannoca NWR. Again I picked up 4 very high
flying Harriers and a Cooper's Hawk. The most interesting migration was at
ground level as small Broad-banded Water Snakes were crossing the main levee
road. Every one was going from west to east. On the first pass I noticed many
of the tiny snakes had been run over but really didn't think much of it.
After a brief scan of the lake, I returned and driving slowly started a
survey. I hurried the small fry across the road as trucks and cars were
passing regularly. Those that were hunkered down in the gravel thinking they
were invisible were picked up and put to the east side in the weeds.

In 1.2 miles of levee there was an even distribution of these snakes that
were only 6 to 12 inches long. I ended up with a count of 19 dead and
assisted 17 in crossing on just one pass. Upon returning I helped 6 more
cross plus one adult about 2 foot long and a really sleek, black Cottonmouth
about 2-1/2 foot long. I have a few shots of these low migrators if anyone is
interested.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA