[TN-Bird] Migrants here

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 06:52:17 EST

On Thursday, April 3, I arrived at home from my volunteer duty at St. Thomas
ER to the wispy whisperings of a black and white warbler which was working
its way through the dead ash tree then a hackberry tree in my backyard.

At 6:18 PM Friday, April 4, I heard the chortling of chimney swifts and
rushed outside on my deck to see them circling around overhead catching bugs
and eyeing the chimney of a neighbor's house where they apparently nest every
year.  That house sold over the winter, and I wonder if the young couple who
now own it were told to expect chimney swifts as summer residents!  I did not
see if the swifts went in there to lodge last night as my telephone rang
summoning me for what turned out to be a conversation lasting until after
dark.

Yesterday morning, I still had one junco and one white-throated sparrow
feeding on my deck, but I did not see them come to feed late yesterday when I
was watching during my dinner which has been when they normally came for
their last feeding of the day

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN.