[TN-Bird] Migrants around Hamilton County - Swainsons Warbler at Cravens House

  • From: "Kevin A. Calhoon" <kac@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Harold Sharp" <sharp_h@xxxxxxxxx>, "Ray Zimmerman" <znaturalist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 09:30:44 -0400

I spent a lot of time in the field in Hamilton County on April 19 and
20. Here are the highlights:

Sunday April 19 birding was good between thunderstorms at the Cravens
House. I ended up with 16 species of warblers including my FOS
Blackburnian, American Redstart, Ovenbird, as well as Cerulean,
Orange-crowned, Blue-winged, Prairie, worm-eating and Black and White.
Four species of vireos including 3 Blue-headed, Rose-breasted Grosbeaks,
Indigo Buntings and my FOS Acadian Flycatcher.

There was a small fallout of shorebirds at Hudson Road on Moccasin Bend
that included my FOS Semi-palmated Plover, as well as Solitary and
Spotted Sandpipers.

Monday April 20 was a beautiful day and many of the same warblers at
Cravens House but best new bird was a singing SWAINSONS WARBLER along
the road that runs north form lower parking lot (black mailbox 1003).

Kevin Calhoon

Assistant Curator of Forests

Tennessee Aquarium

423-785-4070