[TN-Bird] Lark Sparrows, Gibson Co.

  • From: "Mark Greene" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "greenesnake@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: TN-Birds Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 13:31:37 +0000 (UTC)

April 18-19-20, 2015Mt. Orange community (2 miles west of Trenton), Gibson Co.
On Saturday, Sunday, and Monday I had 1-2 Lark Sparrows in the yard. I first
heard the male singing early Saturday morning. I had the window open in the
house and I heard what at first I thought was a distant Indigo Bunting. I
walked outside where I could hear it better and quickly realized that it was a
Lark Sparrow (I've still yet to have my first Indigo Bunting for the season). I
also saw a second bird. On Sunday afternoon I heard the bird singing again and
saw it flying around the yard. Then yesterday, I heard the bird singing again
and I located it sitting up on a power line that runs down to my house.
This species has become a fairly regularly occurring species in my area.
Beginning in 2006, I observed them in the yard in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2011, 2013,
2014, and now 2015. I have observed them somewhere in Gibson County every year
since 2006 with the exception of 2009. Prior to that I had only seen them in
Gibson County once, back in 2002. Lark Sparrows have gone from being a rarity
to an expected species but I still get excited every time I see one!
Good birding,
Mark GreeneTrenton, TNGibson County