[TN-Bird] Middle TN cedar glades

  • From: "Marty" <parula6@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 19:53:49 -0500

I spent April 18 in Wilson and Rutherford counties doing plant things, but
birding and butterflying as I went. Birds of note follow...
Cedars of Lebanon State Forest:
Prairie Warblers - abundant
Ovenbird - heard two, FOS
Indigo Bunting - FOS
Northern Parula

Rt. 452, Wilson/Rutherford Co line:
Prairie Warblers again
Rough-winged Swallows, taking up residence in the road cut-created rock faces
Indigo Bunting
Grasshopper Sparrow - FOS, heard two, saw one
Orchard Oriole
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher pair with a ball-shaped, lichen covered nest in a dead
cedar
Yellow-throated Vireo

Verbena canadensis is in full bloom, and I saw Tiger, Black, Pipevine,
Spicebush and Giant Swallowtail Butterflies all nectaring on it. Pediomelum
subacaulis (Nashville Breadroot) is also flowering, and a blue, species
unknown, was attending it.

Flat Rock Nature Preserve, east of Murfreesboro:
Prairie Warblers - a singing male about every hundred yards
Yellow-breasted Chat - FOS
Northern Parula
Indigo Bunting
Chimney Swift - FOS

Saw probably 10 Goatweed Butterflies, including a female laying eggs on a
croton.

Marty DeHart
Bon Aqua, Hickman Co, TN