[TN-Bird] Middle TN birds of late

  • From: "Scott Somershoe" <Scott.Somershoe@xxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 19:13:27 -0500

Almost a belated report on a few birds, but wanted to report a couple finds
over the last couple weeks around, mostly, middle Tennessee.

2 June - Long Hunter State Park (Davidson Co)- Common Nighthawk nest with 2
small chicks (2-3 days
      old) location was east of Couchville lake about 500m or so in a cedar
glade surrounded by Tennessee
      coneflowers
3 June - Long Hunter State Park - 4 Cattle Egret flew over from same location
as above

9 June - Bark Camp Barrens WMA (Coffee County)- 2 Cedar Waxwings flew over the
Henslow's Sparrow
       fields.  I had a pair that appeared to be on territory there last year,
but never found a nest.  Must
       be a pair or two there.

12 June - Hop-In Refuge, Obion Co, 1 singing Yellow Warbler

18 June - Bark Camp Barrens WMA
      - at least 2 Willow Flycatchers are still present in the mitigation on
Hickerson Rd.  I wasn't convinced
     there were only 2 in there today.  I think there might be a third, but
couldn't confirm it.
      -1 Cattle Egret flew over, not near the sod farm (which is half crops)
      -American Kestrels fledged some young as evident by 4 playful kestrels
flying around.  This is good
       since European Starlings now are attending to the few remaining cavities
in dead pine trees

      Found a Green Heron nest on a holding pond and watched Barn Swallow
fledglings at the same spot in
      Warren county late this morning.  First of 3 shots start here:
http://www.pbase.com/shoeman/image/113971187

18 June - I drove around the Scissor-tailed Flycatcher sites in Rutherford
County and found NONE between
      noon and 1pm!

      However, I did find a Loggerhead Shrike at the exact same place I saw
adults with 6 young in May
      2008.  The location is also where we had 2 pairs of scissor-taileds last
year.  It is on Lytle Creek rd
      where Couch's Rd comes in (90 degree turn).  The shrike was up Couch's Rd.

      In the area, I also photographed a pair of Eastern Kingbirds feeding
adorable fledglings.

      First kingbird shot is here:
http://www.pbase.com/shoeman/image/113971190

Cheers,