[TN-Bird] Re: Mexican duck 7-3-12 Shelby County

  • From: Bill Pulliam <littlezz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dback_jon@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 16:29:32 -0500

One might also wonder about mixed parentage, which might be difficult to sort out without good photos (or a feather for DNA...). Haven't a large fraction of the "Mexican" Ducks north of the border turned out to have mixed heritage?

Of course putting the Mexican Duck closer to Mottled than Mallard might wind up making the whole complex get lumped...

Bill Pulliam
Hohenwald TN

On Jul 10, 2012, at 4:11 PM, Jon Mann wrote:

Very interesting sighting - Mexican Ducks tend to not migrate greatly, so one so far from it's native habitat certainly raises questions on origin.

Side note - while currently lumped with the Mallard (having been a separate species at one time), genetic studies show it is more closely related to the Mottled Duck - see this nice summary: http:// www.azfo.org/journal/mottled_duck.html

Jon Mann
Phoenix