[TN-Bird] Re: Mexican duck 7-3-12 Shelby County

  • From: Jon Mann <dback_jon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "kings4birds@xxxxxxx" <kings4birds@xxxxxxx>, "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 14:11:02 -0700 (PDT)

Very interesting sighting - Mexican Ducks tend to not migrate greatly, so one
so far from it's native habitat certainly raises questions on origin.

Side note - while currently lumped with the Mallard (having been a separate
species at one time), genetic studies show it is more closely related to the
Mottled Duck - see this nice summary:
http://www.azfo.org/journal/mottled_duck.html

Jon Mann
Phoenix