[TN-Bird] Long-tailed Duck (Oldsquaw) in Blount County

  • From: Jean Alexander & David Johnson <jjadmj@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: tnbird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 20:51:15 -0500

At 3:50 Saturday afternoon a female Long-tailed Duck was seen
at Louisville Point Park in Blount County by Jean Alexander, David
Johnson, and Frank Schaff visiting from Maryland.  At 4:50 we
returned with June Welch and were met by Boyd Sharp and Steve
and Gail Clendenen.  Although we searched for almost an hour, we
were unable to relocate it.  There were duck hunters across the
cove and we feared the bird had left the area.  Steve, Gail, and Boyd
made the ultimate sacrifice and left.  At 5:50 the bird appeared again.
This time it swam within twenty feet of the shore, providing
excellent viewing.

Directions:

From I-40 / I-75 in Knoxville take I-140 (Pellissippi Parkway) to
the Topside Road exit.  Turn right and follow Topside until it dead ends
at Louisville Road.  Turn right on Louisville Road and proceed
1.4 miles to Cox Road. (Cox Road is the first road past St. Mark's
United Methodist Church.) Turn right onto Cox Road and follow it into
Louisville Point Park.

From US 129 in Alcoa take  Louisville Road (by Wal-Mart) 5.4 miles to
Cox Road.  Proceed as above.

Upon entering Louisville Point Park look in the small cove on the right
past the first bathrooms behind the playground equipment.

Jean Alexander & David Johnson
Maryville, Tennessee (Blount County)