[TN-Bird] Monsanto Ponds--fenced off!

  • From: "Anna Varney" <arvarney@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 19:53:19 -0600

I promise not to send this message three times.

01.25.03
Monsanto Ponds
Columbia, Moury County, TN

As stated in an earlier message from Jennifer Cardenas, Monsanto Ponds will be
inaccessable starting at the end of January--?  Besides padlocking the gates
that lead to the observation blinds, Solutia has installed very tall chain link
fences directly in front of the stairs that lead to the blinds.  A bit of
overkill, but I guess they want to limit their liabilities.  Nothing was out on
these frozen ponds today anyway.

Stopped at the bridge that crosses the Duck River and even though the water was
moving, the only birds seen in this area were 2 Black Vultures.

A couple goods birds seen while driving the back roads surrounding the ponds
area.

Hermit Thrush (2)
White-crowned Sparrow (5)
White-throated Sparrow (4)
Field Sparrow (3)
Brown Creeper (1)
Am Robins (16)
Black Vulture (5)
Red-tail Hawk (1)
Pileated Woodpecker (2)

An adult male Northern Harrier seen again today near U.S. 43 and U.S. 412.

Anna Varney
Summertown, TN