[TN-Bird] Re: Loggerhead Shrike

  • From: Florida Nature Tours <fnt@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wtthornton@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 14:46:08 -0500

"William T. Thornton" wrote:

 Later yesterday she spotted a Loggerhead again.  It was sitting on a
telephone line above a barbed wire fence on which was hanging a dead
frog.  She thinks she saw the "butcher bird" in action and that the
frog was a recent kill of the loggerhead.  Her husband, on the other
hand, used his vast legal education and told her the guys at work were
probably taking her "for a ride" over the habits of the Loggerhead.
That's when she emailed me -- for information and confirmation that
she could have
>   seen a Loggerhead/"butcher-bird" at work.  I think she did.

  The lifting capacity of a Loggerhead is thus most impressive -- but
I don't believe our outside cats have to fear this little bird!

> Terry Thornton
> Rinnie, TN (North of Crossville on the Cumberland Plateau)

  Terry & All,

  I do allot of birding & guiding in Osceola Co. Florida which
probably has more Loggerhead Shrikes in the winter than any other
place on the planet. I've seen impaled Tree Frogs on many occasions, &
feel that she most definitely did see a shrike's handiwork.

    I DON'T MEAN TO GET OFF ON A RANT HERE....but...

  The problem is that the little bird has a great deal to fear from
your outside cats. As do many other species of birds & a great variety
of other small creatures that you should want in your yard. Sometimes
the best thing we can do is nothing. The single best thing you can do
for your health is to not smoke. The single best thing you can do for
the birds is to not let your cats out except on a leash. I know that
every one of us who read that last line cringed when we read it.
PLEASE do the right thing & bring in your cats. Statistics show that
they will probably live longer healthier lives too. You're the boss
not the cats! If you decide that from now on they are going to be
indoor cats, that's what they'll be. They won't commit suicide, they
will adapt!!! Every year millions of birds in this country are killed
by cats. Wild creatures have enough problems trying to make it in a
world dominated, fragmented, & greatly altered by humans, the last
thing we need to do is to let our domesticated animals kill what
little wildlife there is around our homes.

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong........no, in this case I'm
sure I'm right.

 Wes Biggs
 Florida Nature Tours, Orlando  407/363-1360  fnt@xxxxxxx
 http://www.floridanaturetours.com