[TN-Bird] Little River canoe trip

  • From: Rikki Hall <rikki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 15:51:32 -0400

On Saturday, June 2, some friends and I took a leisurely canoe ride down
the Little River in eastern Blount County, from Davis Ford to the
Wildwood Rd bridge. The birding was excellent, 42 species for the trip,
with the highlight being the colony of CLIFF SWALLOWS under the U.S. 411
bridge. There were at least two dozen nests on the bridge, including a
row of about ten butting up against each other on the north side. The
Wildwood bridge had a smaller cliff swallow colony with a few BARN
SWALLOW nests mixed in. There was also one structure that I believe was
an EASTERN PHOEBE nest atop an old barn swallow nest with a few year's
worth of mud dauber tubes underneath. The whole thing was about three
feet tall. I could see a head and tail on the upper nest, and it
appeared to include plant matter, so I think it was a phoebe.

There was a TREE SWALLOW flying over the water at one point, but somehow
we missed northern rough-wings. An Empidonax flycatcher was calling
persistently from a tree, but I couldn't spot it as we floated by. It
was definitely not an Acadian, and it wasn't buzzy/sneezy enough for a
willow, so I think it was a LEAST FLYCATCHER.

A large, yellow mayfly was hatching that day, and as one would rise from
the water, it was just a matter of time before something, usually a
CEDAR WAXWING, swooped in and gobbled it up. Waxwings, COMMON GRACKLES
and INDIGO BUNTINGS were omnipresent, and we always seemed to be scaring
off a GREAT BLUE HERON as we rounded each bend. The grackles were
walking along roots near the water line as though they were
waterthrushes, and a few seemed to have nesting material in their beaks.
I actually did see one LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSH and two SPOTTED SANDPIPERS.

We saw two clans of CANADA GEESE, 9 birds in one and 21 in the other,
with young that were about half grown, but still downy. There were a few
WOOD DUCK flyovers and one pair of small, wild MALLARD on the water.

Complete list is below.

Rikki Hall
Rockford, TN
Blount County