[TN-Bird] Life Drama at the Pits

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 21:34:45 EDT

July 13, 2003
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN

A drama was being played out today at the pits. They started to divert waste
water into a dry back pool; they are trying to dry it out but use it when
needed. The good news was, that it will provide a lot of Windbirds with good
foraging areas but this silver lining had a dark side.

The bad news was, that one pair of Black-necked Stilts had their usual ground
level nest in that pit. This morning, I watched the water creep up to their
nest as the pair frantically tossed anything they could find back toward the
nest. They hurriedly raised the 4 eggs little by little. Both would work for a
while and then the female would go back to the nest and stand in the nest, legs
akimbo, to shade the eggs. While there she would reach out and grab the
material that had been thrown close enough and tuck it under the eggs. The
water
had by that time was touching the nest on all sides.

I photographed their plight and watched them tirelessly working to stem the
rising tide. Hopefully the water will not get too deep as it is a very large
pool and they may not have to divert the water into it for long. I'll check
tomorrow and see if they were successful. I've seen them raise a nest 6 to 8
inches, if they can find the material, unfortunately there was not much close
by.
They do not carry material to the nest but only toss it haphazardly and
hopefully it lands near the nest. The bird on the nest then reaches out with
long
neck and beak and brings it in to be tucked under the eggs. Mother Nature tests
us all.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA