[TN-Bird] Ensley Shorebirds

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 21:04:24 EDT

July 13, 2003
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN

Shorebirds continue to come into the pits as 4 species were added to
yesterday's list, bringing to two day total to 15 species of Wind Birds. The
birds
added today were; 1 breeding plumaged Sanderling, 1 molting female Wilson's
Phalarope, 1 Stilt Sandpiper still in full alternate pl., and 4 Greater
Yellowlegs.

I could not relocate the White-rumped nor the Semipalmated Plover as the
first rested yesterday and the other called incessantly, both activities by
individuals means they are in travel mode. Generally the numbers were up but
counting the small stuff was difficult to impossible due to the tumultuous and
ever
growing numbers of Mississippi Kites. It started with 20 or so kites but before
I left the first time their number had grown to 70 in view at one time. The
Purple Martins, swallows and swifts all were having fun diving on the feeding
kites but the shorebirds were kept in a constant state of flux.

I did not count the Killdeer or Black-necked Stilts but here are some
comparative numbers from Saturday to Sunday, the first number is Saturday;
Lesser
Yellowlegs - 8 / 16, Solitary Sandpipers - 5 / 9, Spotted Sandpiper - 1/4,
Pectoral sandpiper - 27 / 49 with the Western, Semisands and Least just not
holding
long enough to count.

As I said, I finally left to check some other areas because the birds were
flying off and some were leaving to the south-southeast which means they were
not coming back, while others broke into smaller groups and sought refuge away
from the main pits. When I returned the kites were gone but most of the birds
were still tucked away till hunger would bring them back to the main feeding
area.

These are GOOD TIMES...........

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson