[TN-Bird] Lesser Black-backed Gull, Rutherford County

  • From: Terry Witt <terrywitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 11:36:32 -0800 (PST)

There are several thousand gulls + present in the winter at the Middlepoint
Landfill in Rutherford County
I assume they are roosting on one of the large reservoirs, and each day they
arrive in the morning to forage in the trash, and stay until late afternoon.
Most are Ring-bills with a few first year Herrings in the mix.  Some years ago
I found a Glaucous Gull there, and last winter a Franklin's Gull and a LBB Gull
were found as well.  At lunch today, I saw an adult Lesser Black-backed Gull in
the flock.

Directions: North of Murfreesboro,  turn east on Jefferson Pike (Tn266) from US
231 at Walter Hill (traffic light)
In one mile turn south on Landfill Road
To the right is the active part of the landfill, and there is a small pond/lake
at the bottom of the trash mound that generally has a number of gulls loafing
on the dirt banks or sometimes in the water
Unfortunately, the rock berm that has been built since last year is high enough
that some of the birds may well be obscured from the road, and short of
trespassing (please don't) it may be tough to see all the birds
There will also be a number of birds coming and going to the garbage, so
patience may be rewarded

Cheers

Terry Witt