[TN-Bird] Lakeshore Park, Roane County

  • From: "Ron Hoff" <aves7000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-bird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2015 18:32:01 -0400

TN-birders,

Dollyann & I went out to the Kingston Steam Plant area (Roane County) this
morning to see what is happening with the area after years of work removing the
fly ash that broke loose several years ago. The whole area has basically been
off limits, especially to birders, for a long time. We were pleased to find
that the narrow peninsula just north of the old fly ash area, called Swan Pond
Recreation Area by TVA (and called Shoreline Park in eBird) is now open to the
general public, and thus, birders. TVA has planted (and labeled) numerous trees
on the peninsula and there are paved walking paths all around the park. You can
go all the way out to a narrow point that affords a nice view of a large swath
of the Emory River. This could be great for wintering waterfowl watching, with
deeper water in the main channel off to the east, and maybe dabbling ducks in
the shallower water off to the west.

While there is limited habitat for a great diversity at the moment, over time
this might turn out to be a pretty nice place to go birding. There are a few
spruce/fir trees around and many pines that should attract migrants like Cape
May warblers, etc. There is an island in the Emory River on the left side just
as you enter the park near the first parking area on your right. We scoped the
island (I could NOT find the name for this island in Google Maps, so I am
naming it “Shoreline Island” for clarity) and found: 15 Great Blue Herons on
nests; 13 Black-crowned Night-Herons in the trees and shrubs but could not find
any nests; and 93 Double-crested Cormorants on nests and many more around. This
is the largest concentration of cormorant nests that I know of in East TN.
There are 2 active Osprey nests in the area also. One off the south end of
Shoreline Island and another closer to the TVA former fly ash area to the west.
Birds are sitting on both nests.

Right now there are a lot of exposed muddy shorelines in the area, so it might
be decent for shorebirds in the coming weeks. There is a nice, new bathroom at
the end of the peninsula bordering the parking lot. Looks like this place may
have some potential. There are also a few picnic tables around.

Great birding,

Ron Hoff and Dollyann Myers
Clinton, TN