[TN-Bird] Kyker Bottoms

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 15:13:15 -0700 (PDT)

Kyker Bottoms
Blount County
4/23/05
about 50 degrees, breezy, gray, some sprinkles
Tracey, Charlie and Allan Muise

Hi folks,

After sleeping in and missing the fun on Sharps Ridge, we decided
that we needed to get outdoors, so we loaded the dogs, the scope and
Allan in to the car and headed to Kyker Bottoms WMA today from 1:30
to 4:30 pm.  Not the best time of day, nor the best weather, but we
still saw lots of good birds.  A Virginia Rail was a first ever in
the county for me.  Other first of season birds brought my 2005
Blount County list up to 142, which is several behind at least one
person.  But since he's out of town for a while, maybe I'll catch up?

An asterisk denotes first of year in Blount County for me.

Here is the list (sorry, not correct taxonomic order - I'm using up
the old orange field cards!)

Pied-billed Grebe - 4 (surprising for this area and time of year)
Great Egret - 3 (most I've seen at one time in this county)
Great Blue Heron - at least 10
Green Heron -4
Wood Duck - 1
Canada Goose - 6 or more
Mallard - 3
Red-tailed Hawk - 1
Black Vulture - 1
Turkey Vulture - 10 or so
NOrthern Bobwhite - 1 seen, none heard
* Virginia Rail - 1 about 50 yards down the levy from the area #1
overlook
Killdeer - several
* Solitary Sandpiper
* Greater Yellowlegs - 3
Mourning Dove
Rock Pigeon
Chimney Swift - 25+
Belted Kingfisher - 1
Downy Woodpecker - 2
Red-bellied Woodpecker - 2
Eastern Phoebe - 1
Purple Martin - 3 on a feeder near the refuge
Barn Swallow - 20 or more?
* Cliff Swallow - 1 I don't recall seeing this species at Kyker
before
Northern Rough-winged Swallow - at least 20
Tree Swallow - 25+
Tufted Titmouse - 2
White-breasted Nuthatch - 2
Carolina Wren - 5
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - many
Eastern Bluebird
American Robin
Northern Mockingbird
Brown Thrasher - 2
European Starling
* White-eyed Vireo - at least 15
* Yellow-breasted Chat - on private land a few miles from Kyker.  A
spot where I see this species regularly in season
* Common Yellowthroat - at least 15
Northern Cardinal
Chipping Sparrow
Field Sparrow