[TN-Bird] Kyker Bottoms

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 18:18:50 -0700 (PDT)

Kyker Bottoms WMA
Blount County
May 30, 2005
Tracey, Allan and Charlie Muise

Today we escaped housework and other projects and headed to Kyker for
an hour and a half.  Lots of nice birds, as usual.  Since we had the
dogs with us, we didn't see/hear all we could have.  But here is the
list:

Great Blue Heron
Green Heron (at least 4)
Canada Goose
Mallard
Wood Duck
Turkey Vulture
Red-tailed Hawk
Northern Bobwhite - at least 7 calling at once
Killdeer
Mourning Dove
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
Chimney Swift
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Belted Kingfisher
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Eastern Wood-pewee (I can't figure out why this species is in this
area - doesn't seem like right habitat.  But I get them regularly)
Eastern Phoebe
Eastern Kingbird
Purple Martin
Tree Swallow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Barn Swallow
Cedar Waxwing
Carolina Wren
Northern Mockingbird
Brown Thrasher (pair with nest)
Eastern Bluebird
American Robin
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
Blue Jay
American Crow
European Starling
White-eyed Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Common Yellowthroat
Pine Warbler
Yellow-breasted Chat
Chipping Sparrow
Field Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Northern Cardinal
Blue Grosbeak - 3 males
Indigo Bunting
Red-winged Blackbird
Eastern Meadowlark
Common Grackle
Brown-headed Cowbird
Orchard Oriole
House Finch
American Goldfinch

In a grown-up field about 2 miles away we found many of the
"succession species" including Prairie Warbler, Indigo Bunting,
White-eyed Vireo and Yellow-breasted Chat.

Good day!

Charlie