[TN-Bird] Re: Krider's Red Tail Hawk? Nashville, TN- Josh Stevenson

  • From: Mark Greene <greenesnake@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@freelists org" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "ifihadastick@xxxxxxxxxxx" <ifihadastick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 07:15:34 -0700 (PDT)

The bird in question looks like a classic Krider's to me as well. As Mike said,
we get lots of these birds over in West TN as well as most of the other
Red-tailed types too.

There was a bird reported to be a Ferruginous Hawk in Union City in Obion
County a few weeks ago and when I first saw the bird perched, it had me fooled
for a couple of minutes too. When the bird took flight, however, it showed all
the traits of a classic Krider's Red-tailed Hawk. As Mike stated, these birds
can be highly variable with some birds showing intergrade markings.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Mark Greene
Trenton, TN

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android