[TN-Bird] Killdeer perched on Post?

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, ARBIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, albirds@xxxxxxxxxxx, BIRDCHAT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 07:48:04 EST

Coahoma Co. MS
December 2004

On December 19, Mike Todd and I were traveling south on 61 Highway, going  to
look for the Ruddy Ground-Dove south of Cleveland. Just north of the
Jamestown intersection, I spotted 11 Sandhill Cranes settling in a field and
just as
I turned off the road, I noticed a bird sitting on a 6 inch square  concrete
field post. It was some distance away and had its back to me, my first
thought was a Kestrel but something made me stay on the bird as we drove closer
the cranes, which were on our right; Mike was watching these birds  for any
sign that there were getting antsy.

The bird on the post jumped off the post and glided down and landed on the
ground about 50 feet away and even then I could not believe it was a  Killdeer.
Mike asked me what I was watching as he noticed I had not been  commenting on
the cranes and looking off to the left; he saw the bird on the  ground but
never on the post.

Question??? Has anyone ever seen a Killdeer perch anywhere but on the  ground
or on a flat roof? I've seen Yellowlegs and Solitary Sandpipers perch on
branches off the ground around here but never a Killdeer on a post 5 foot off
the ground?

This is what keeps me out there day after day, we just never know what new
adventures or ideas these birds will thrust upon us............

PS: We took photos of the Sandhill Cranes and left them feeding and  were
also successful on the Ruddy Ground-Dove search;o)
Good  Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett,  TN