[TN-Bird] Kentucky (just barely) birds

  • From: Steve Routledge <eyerout@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 13:24:06 -0700 (PDT)

Wednesday May 21

Acting on a quick tip, Cyndi and I visited Morgan Pond (s), a transient pond in
the very southern part of Christian Co. near Ft. Campbell. Of greatest interest
was a Red-necked Phalarope, though distant, we got pretty decent looks at this
as well as several Black Terns, A couple of American Avocets, and a couple of
fairly large flocks of mixed shorebird species, including white-rumped, least,
semi-palm sandpipers and semi-palm plovers, sanderlings, both yellowlegs, 2
Black-bellied plovers, several remaining Blue-winged teal and a lone Caspian
Tern.

This area is part of an active farm and you may get quizzed by whom I presume
is the land owner, but once he found out we were with TOS and doing a survey of
the shorebirds, he seemed to be okay with that. Also, you are right on the edge
of a Ft. Campbell airstrip, so they may quiz you also.

With that in mind: take I-24W towards Paducah and exit 86. Turn left (south)
about 1/2 mile to the first light and turn right at the Flying J truck stop. Go
about 1 mile and turn left onto Bullard. Part of the ponds are immediately
visible on the left, but if you go 100 yards past the abandoned house on the
right, this will lead you to the more productive pond. Corn is planted, so I
would encourage those who may go in that area to stay out of the fields,
themselves.

Steve Routledge
Clarksville/Montgomery Co.