[TN-Bird] KY Lake area; 1/12/09

  • From: <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 22:09:08 -0600

1/12/09
KY Lake areas of Henry Co
(Pace Point area & Britton Ford)
I met Bill Pulliam at KY Lake this morning for a welcome day of birding. Loons
were in short supply, and no good grebes were found, but 24 species of
waterfowl on the day made up for it; all expected species except Wood Duck.
Highlights from the Pace Point area:

BLACK SCOTER- female out with the big raft of Ruddy Ducks in the bay to the
west of Pace Point. We picked her up while she slept amongst the look-alike
Ruddies, and at times had to make several scans to pick her back up. I only saw
her head up one time.

Greater Scaup- very few in the big raft to the west of Pace Point, but 50+
scattered around to the east of the Point

Red-breasted Merganser- 400+ in the area, but no luck with the hoped for
Common. Very few Mergansers are in the bay below the observation platform that
has been so reliable for Common. Maybe this next cold snap will do it.

GOLDEN EAGLE- adult seen soaring over fields near bay from observation
platform. It quickly sailed away to the southwest.

Biggest surprise though, was not seeing a Bonaparte's Gull ALL DAY. The lake
has jumped back up to 357 which took care of the flats and loafing areas for
gulls.

We then went to Britton Ford, with the big bay full of birds, though most
distant. The hillside to the north of the observation platform here was covered
with geese, and we got the 5 expected species out of the area.:

Canada Goose: 800
Cackling Goose: 8
Snow Goose: 36
Ross's Goose: 4
Greater White-fronted Goose: 168

One of the Cackling types was darker-breasted than I would expect, but who
knows! We couldn't pick anything unusual up out of the thousands of ducks here.
Not much going on except waterfowl here. Bill went west, and I took more time
to study and photograph the geese before moving on. I had just got to Paris
Landing when Bill called about the Swans, so my search there ended on a very
quick note, and I hightailed it for Trimble. After enjoying the swans, I
finished the day up at last light at the gate at Hop-In Refuge in Obion Co,
listening to Sandhill Cranes as they called and moved about the area.

Good to finally be back in the field!!

I will post some photos shortly, of some of the geese and the swans.

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN
birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.pbase.com/mctodd