[TN-Bird] Short-eared owls (Cumberland Co, TN)

  • From: david kirschke <dkirschke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-birds <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 20:14:04 -0800 (PST)

I met up with Ed Legrand and his son in south Cumberland County (where they
have been consistently seeing short-eared owls) this afternoon on my way from
Nashville to the Kingston TVA plant.  I arrived a few minutes before Ed and
decided to walk a field he said they might be roosting in off Willingham Rd.
Just 50 yards in one flushed and flew off towards the white barn described in
Ed's previous emails.  Of course my camera was back at the car.  It reminded me
of the scene from 'Out of Africa' where Robert Redford encounters Meryl Streep
being stalked by a lion and asks whether she has a gun.  She says yes, it's on
her saddle.  He replies, "You'd better keep it with you, your horse isn't much
of a shot."

We eventually tallied 3 short-eared owls, several northern harriers, and a
red-shouldered hawk.  I have uploaded a few photos (see below), although the
light was poor.  You can at least make out the field marks.  (One owl is
missing several primary flight feathers on the left.) Thanks to Ed for great
views of my life short-eared owl(s).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dkirschke/3192573815/

David Kirschke
Nashville, TN