[TN-Bird] Re: Jeff Wilson Passing

  • From: "Chuck/Lola Estes" <chucklola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 10:39:38 -0500

Lola and I were very sad to hear of Jeff Wilson's passing.  Each time we
birded with Jeff we learned something new or gained a better perspective.
He was always willing to share his vast knowledge and had the best tips and
clues for identification.  I was just starting to get serious about birding
when I first met Jeff.  He helped me sort out a shorebird on Dauphin Island
and he emphasized focusing on the gestalt/structure of the bird that I now
use every day.

The last time we saw Jeff was last Thanksgiving out in Tunica County, MS.
We were looking for hawks and he spotted a Ferruginous Hawk that was an
exciting life bird for Lola and me.  He still had a lot of energy as he
enthusiastically ticked off all the ID details and was heading off to
Arkansas the next day for more hawks.  Later that afternoon, we watched a
large group of Northern Harriers going down to roost as the Short-eared Owls
rose up from the same area for their evening hunt.  Jeff waxed on about how
he had noticed (ever observant) this relationship and used it to find
Short-eared Owls.  We watched a beautiful sunset with dancing back-lit owls.
Turns out it was the perfect setting to remember Jeff.  Birding with no
horizons!

Chuck Estes

Oak Ridge, TN