[TN-Bird] Interesting nest location for Mallard

  • From: Jimi Moore <jimimoore@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 21:57:28 -0400

I kept forgetting to post this:
     On April 11th, I was birding at Cove Lake St Pk  Campbell County, TN
and a very white object in a tree caught my eye. I took a closer look
with binoculars as I started towards it, and realized it looked  like an
egg.
As I moved closer, I saw it WAS an egg, and a large one at that. The
location was apx. 5-6 ft. high in a fork in a large tree with vines and a
bush growing up by it. As I got closer, I realized I was looking at the
tail end of an extremely camouflaged Female Mallard duck with the egg
sticking out from below her tail and about to roll out from under her.
A new species?  Mallard Tree Duck?  I am sure there must be other
instances of strange locations other than the ground for nesting
Mallards, but this is the first I have seen or heard of being in a tree.
Pretty smart girl.  I had approached very close before I realized she was
there, totally blending into the streaky trunk color and vines.  I  took
a few pictures and all that can be seen without a flash is a silhouette.
I then quickly left the area, but as far as she was concerned, she thinks
she was never seen!
   I looked yesterday and she is still there, most certainly  having
pulled the egg back underneath her better for incubating.

Nell Moore
Caryville, TN
N. of Knoxville