[TN-Bird] Ceruleans in Yard/Nice Warbler movement this morn.

  • From: Jimi Moore <jimimoore@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 21:23:55 -0400

    4-21-03         Monday    8:00-9:00 am
Strong storms before dawn, with light showers continuing off and on.

      I was going to bird at Norris Dam area this morning , but due to
storms at daylight, I stayed home.  Nice decision! Between showers I had
the following
birds off the back deck. Maybe I should stay home more often and bird!
Location- Jacksboro, TN at the edge of the Cumberland Mts. apx. 1800 ft
elevation on a ridge. Large mature Oaks and Tulip Poplar trees in yard.

2 CERULEAN WARBLERS singing and seen well
TENNESSEE WARBLER (my first for Spring) singing away
ORANGE CROWNED WARBLER
PALM  also singing ( I still confuse these with Yellow-Rumped from time
to time
PINE WARBLER
WORM EATING WARBLER
OVENBIRD down the hill close by
YELLOW-THROATED WARBLER
BLACK THROATED GREEN
MANY YELLOW-RUMPS
There was lots of other activity going on too.
Also singing were RED-EYED AND YELLOW-THROATED VIREO
and SCARLET TANAGER
I also noticed my first INDIGO BUNTING under the feeders munching on
millet
along with the Chipping, Field , Song and White Th. Sparrows. 1 Junco is
still here also.
In the tops of the Oaks I also had a flock of about 15 CEDAR WAXWINGS,
and I realized I have NOT seen ANY in the area in at least 3  months.
To my sadness, I have experienced a strange disappearance of my
Bluebirds.
After building the nest over 3 wks ago, with monitoring- No eggs...AND no
Bluebirds anywhere. Chickadees have taken the box, and are now happily
nesting , so I am grateful for that, but cannot imagine where the
Bluebirds went other than some horrible fate for them. Last year they
produced 3 broods.

Nell Moore
Caryville, TN
N. of Knoxville