[TN-Bird] Hooded Crane: Information from Nebraska

  • From: S Hoyle <hoyleshrike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 20:23:04 -0500

I ran across this e-mail from a member of the Nebaska RBC:

"Date: 12/15/11 9:26 am
From: Mark Brogie <mbrogie...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Hooded Crane - INFO A Hooded Crane has been spotted in
Tennessee. Could this be the same bird that was in Nebraska this spring or
the Carey Lake Idaho bird in 2010? I am sure the debate on the origin of
this bird is ongoing. Much has been made about Hooded Cranes escaping from
an Idaho farm several years ago. I have spent a GREAT DEAL of time
investigating this. There is a long story behind this, but I have spoken
to: the owner of the missing cranes, multiple Curators of Birds of zoos
with Hooded Cranes; including the Bronx Zoo where the missing Idaho birds
originated; and I can say that all the evidence I have so far is that the
Idaho birds were PINIONED (incapable of sustained flight). Bands can be
removed but pinioning is permanent. The Idaho birds were hatched at the
Bronx Zoo in the late 1980's, and came up missing in December of 2007
(missing; not necessarily escaped - part of the long story). The owner of
the Idaho birds told me that he had these birds in an open pen for about
seven or eight years and none of them could fly very far; as all were
pinioned.
Ruling out the "Idaho-escaped" assumption makes the possibility of a
natural vagrant much more plausible!

The Nebraska Records Committee has not yet acted on any 2011 records;
including Hooded Crane; but will do so soon!

Mark A. Brogie - Nebraska Ornithologists' Union Records Committee
Chairperson
508 Seeley St., Box 316
Creighton, NE 68729 "

-Susan Hoyle