[TN-Bird] Herndon Banquet birding

  • From: Dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 21:27:51 EST

Here are highlights of the weekend:
     Saturday morning, March 27, 2004, Chris Sloan, Larry McDaniel and Don
Holt birded on Roan Mtn., Carter Co., TN and at Musick's Campground on South
Holston Lake, Sullivan Co., TN.  Knight posted the findings at the lake
yesterday.  On the mtn. we had the good fortune to see a SAW-WHET OWL on the NC
side of
Carver's Gap looking out of a nest-box.  Sloan had already seen one nearby in
the spruce-fir forest being mobbed.  Later while watching the bird in the
box, we heard a call note from another Saw-whet in the distance.  I've been
told
that since they don't usually roost in boxes, there is a good chance they are
on the nest.  Other spp. seen or heard that morning included Wild Turkey,
Brown Creeper (singing), Red-breasted Nuthatch, Winter Wren (singing),
Golden-crowned Kinglet, Red Crossbill, & Pine Siskin.
     Saturday evening, after the Herndon TOS Spring Banquet (at which Sloan
presented a delightful and informative program on winter hummingbirds), around
9 pm Sloan and Holt returned to Carver's Gap to look for Saw-whets again.  We
heard an owl calling on the TN side of the gap, hiked up the trail toward it,
then briefly returned its call.  In a short while we had very close looks at a
very curious owl, within less than twenty feet.  There may have been a second
bird heard nearby.
     Sunday morning, March 28, Sloan, Holt, and Larry McDaniel met at Carvers
Gap and birded our way down the mtn..  Some interesting spp. added to the
weekend's list included White-breasted Nuthatch, Common Raven and singing Fox
Sparrows at Carver's Gap, and BLUE-HEADED VIREO at Hummingbird Hill.
     We continued to Flatwoods Road on Holston Mtn. in Carter and Sullivan
Counties in search of Ruffed Grouse.  The Blue-headed Vireos were heard all
over
the mtn.  A couple of BLACK AND WHITE WARBLERS were also heard.  Good views
of Hairy Woodpecker, Pileated Woodpecker, and Yellow-bellied Sapsucker were
enjoyed.  No Ruffed Grouse were found, but the search for one led to the
surprise
discovery of a BLACK BEAR, perhaps recently roused from hibernation.  The
bear exhibited behavior typical of the species in this area, by immediately
vacating the premises as soon as humans had intruded.

Don Holt
Johnson City, TN