[TN-Bird] Re: Hermit Thrush behavior

  • From: Robbie Hassler <drhass@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 21:38:10 -0600

   Yes, I have watched Hermit Thrushes go through this maneuver more than
once.  Usually along the side of the road where I walk.  It is so
fascinating that I would watch for as long as it would allow.  It was aware
of me, but seemed unafraid.  It would run, then stop and immediately one leg
started that seemingly uncontrollable jitter while it looked as if it was
unaware of what that leg was doing.  It reminded me of an old fashioned
sewing machine needle running on high speed.  I assumed there was a purpose
but I never saw it feeding.

Robbie Hassler
Byrdstown, TN
Pickett County