[TN-Bird] Henry County yard birds, Am. Tree Sparrows (photos)

  • From: Shawna Ellis <yodergoat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tn Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 00:24:58 -0600

March 3, 2014
Paris, Henry County

Today was a great day for feeder birds! We were able to add a new
species to our yard list (American Tree Sparrow, number 126), and our
little girl added three life birds to bring her life list to 204. We
also had several FOY birds and a few birds which had never before
visited our feeders.

In between excursions outside for sledding and caring for the animals,
our time was spent watching the windows. I hurriedly mixed some suet
this morning and put out some seed in an additional area to compensate
for the high numbers.

We've been watching on and off all day and have 31 species, although
oddly missing some common birds (Mourning Dove, Eastern Bluebird,
Hairy Woodpecker). It may be that the multitude of blackbirds scared
away some of our "regular" feeder visitors, as we also only saw a
Carolina Chickadee once and White-breasted Nuthatches twice today and
they are usually incredibly consistent visitors.

We were absolutely inundated with blackbirds... Red-winged, Rusty,
Brown-headed Cowbird, European Starling, Common Grackle. All of these
except the Red-winged were our first sightings in the yard this year,
and aside from the cowbirds none of these species are common feeder
birds for us. This mixed flock started small and grew as the day wore
on until at times the area under the feeder tree was a virtual carpet
of blackbirds. I resorted to putting out some of our goat's sweet feed
on the ground to help save on sunflower seed. These were nice for a
day but I can see that they would be incredibly draining if they made
it a habit. The starlings in particular were hard on my suet and
peanut butter dough! We spotted two different Common Grackles which
had small amounts of albinism on the head.

We noticed that some of the birds began the day very weak...
particularly a Pine Warbler which had never visited our feeders
before. It seemed absolutely desperate, but did improve considerably
as the day went on. There was also one particularly pitiful looking
FOS Indigo Bunting which was just getting his first glimmer of adult
plumage.

The odd birds of the day were the American Tree Sparrows (maybe 4-5
individuals), which was a life bird for our daughter, a new yard bird
for us and a very nice surprise. They brought the sparrow count to
seven species. It's interesting to hear of others getting these today!

I've included a few photos. One is quite out of focus but helps
capture some of the "action" at a single feeder, including a blurry
shot of the Pine Warbler. It was this way at every feeder all day
long. Also are included a couple of Rusties, an American Tree Sparrow,
a Common Grackle with some white, and the poor looking young Indigo
Bunting.

What a fun day!

-Shawna Ellis
Paris, Henry County