[TN-Bird] Great White Herons (2!) in Unicoi Co.

  • From: Robin Barrow <braveladyrobin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 22:58:12 -0400

This afternoon I searched for the white morph of the Great Blue Heron that
has been reported along the Nolichucky River in Unicoi Co along Hwy 81. At
about 1 p.m. I spotted the bird sitting in a tree along the right bank of
the river in Washington Co, maybe 1-2 miles from mile marker 2. I tried to
get a closer look, but while I was traveling the bird flew back upriver to
its "usual" spot near the mile marker 2 pull-off. Luckily there I was able
to get a good view and confirm its yellow legs. A second large white bird
was present too! They were both standing along the rocks in the middle of
the river. I couldn't see the legs of #2 to confirm the ID. It was 2 p.m.
when I saw them both together.

Robin Barrow
reporting from Unicoi Co.