[tn-bird] Re: Great Texas Coastal Birding Trail

  • From: "Johnny T. Parks" <ringgold_birdchaser@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 14:12:12 -0400

You mean go to Texas and do the trail, or go to the website?
With a little luck and proper timing, I could find up to ten life birds
in southern Texas, but right now the finances won't let me go. I am going
to the Georgia coast in August for a pelagic trip which I really can't
afford, but it will be my only trip this year. With a little luck I can
add three to five state birds and with a lot of luck one lifer (Leach's
Storm-Petrel).

I have been wanting to get out to Memphis for the Western Kingbird, and
to Roan Mountain for the Mourning Warbler, but I don't think I can handle
the hills yet on the hike for the warbler. I tried three times this
spring to get up to Clingsman's Dome for the saw-whet owl, but each time
the weather would not cooperate. But I did get the Brown Pelican here
Saturday--that was a state bird! I don't remember if I told you that I
had a Warbling Vireo in Jackson County, Alabama, which was a state bird.
I have had two hummingbirds and a Wilson's Warbler in Georgia this year,
all state birds. So there are things to find locally when unable to
travel.

How are you feeling? It seems that you have had an active summer so far.
How was your visit to Wisconsin? Get any good birds?

Johnny Parks
Ringgold, GA