[TN-Bird] Good Yard Birds Today

  • From: "Tommy Curtis" <tcbirdwatch@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-Bird Post" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 21:56:50 -0500

It was another good day on the hill for migrants.  Our first ever in the yard
Prairie Warbler popped up in one of our Cypress trees 15 feet away at eye level
and gave us great looks at its brilliant yellow and bold stripes - it was
number 135 for the yard.  Other warblers were Tennessee and Northern Parula.  A
gorgeous Yellow-throated Vireo excited us as it foraged about 30 feet away.  A
second-in-our-yard House Wren worked in and around one of the brush piles this
morning after coming in late yesterday afternoon.  Female Scarlet and Summer
Tanagers appeared briefly.  A mature Cooper's Hawk caused bedlam when it
swooped through the feeders. And we still have the four Ruby-throated
Hummingbirds that somehow didn't get the same migration signal the other 150 or
so received last week.
But the birds of the day were two Red-breasted Nuthatches that fed from 10:00
until dark.  One came in at first and an hour later the second joined it and
they stayed together all day.

We still have at least a couple of dozen Rose-breasted Grosbeaks.  They are
feeding on the Pokeberries and we now have Pokeberry Pink water in our bird
baths as they come to drink and what washes off their beaks colors the water.
At least in our yard there is no lack of food for these migrants.  When they
came through in large numbers in the spring they were so hungry they ate all
the green cherries off the wild cherry tree that is their normal fall supply.
But during the summer the area where the power company cut down the trees under
their lines last fall grew up in all kinds of weeds, many of which have good
seeds for birds.  And the Pokeberry bushes sprang up all through the weeds -
dozens and dozens of them in an area about 50 yards long and 15 yards wide.  So
far they've supplied all these Grosbeaks for almost a month and many of our
yard birds in addition to a flock of Red-winged Blackbirds that have been here
for over a week.  It's almost like a Creator was providing for the birds He
made.

Tommy & Virginia Curtis
Smithville, TN
DeKalb County