[TN-Bird] Gibson County arrivals

  • From: magreene@xxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 09:01:42 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Had a few birds of note over the weekend & yesterday in Gibson County. On
Friday evening (April 27) I had my first Common Nighthawk of the spring flying
around the lights at my son's baseball game in Trenton. After we got home from
the game I heard my first Chuck-will's-widow of the spring singing from a
nearby woods in the Mt. Orange community west of Trenton.

I had a very strange observation in my yard on Saturday evening. I kept hearing
a call that sounded a bit like a Great Crested Flycatcher but a little
different. When I finally spotted the bird giving the call in the big Green Ash
tree in my front yard I was suprised to see that it was a Cockatiel! After
sitting in the tree calling fro a few minutes it flew away and I never saw it
again. Weird.

Yesterday (April 30) I had to stay home from work with my daughter who was sick
and birds were lined up coming to the birdbath. I had Am. Goldfinch, Orchard
Oriole, Chipping Sparrow, Am. Robin, N. Mockingbird, Brown Thrasher,
White-throated Sparrow, White-crowned Sparrow, Carolina Chickadee, E. Towhee,
Song Sparrow, Red-winged Blackbird, Carolina Wren, Eastern Bluebird, amongst a
few others fighting for their turn to drink/bathe.

I also had A Northern Bobwhite male that stayed in the yard foraging for a
couple of hours. Another neat site was a flock of 30+ Indigo Buntings and Blue
Grosbeaks that fed on the lawn for about 3 hours! My first E. Wood-Pewee was
singing in the front yard and the Yellow Warbler is still foraging in the ash
tree. A pair of Eurasian Collared-Doves appear to have taken up residence in
the large E. Redcedar trees in the back yard. No nest yet but...?

Good birding,

Mark Greene
Trenton, TN
Gibson County